Saturday, May 10, 2014

There's a lot more to writing...

Writing is not just writing.

Unless you are one of those people who write for yourself, scribble away in a personal journal or lock your creations away in your desk for no one else to see, there is a lot more to writing than simply putting words down on paper.

Sometimes I think there is so much more to writing than just writing that a real writer never actually gets time to write.

Right?

Here it is, a cool, rainy Saturday morning and I have some time to myself. My dog has been walked, my partner is still asleep and the world isn't about to come knocking on my door at this hour.

Time to write, right?

Well... It depends on what you mean by "write". If you mean, catch up on my blogs, those catchy little ditties that I have to put out on a regular basis to keep up my readership and to maintain the public profile all of those "How to be a Successful Writer" books and websites tell me I have to maintain in order to be a published author someday, then yes, I'm writing.

But it certainly doesn't mean I'm writing the actual book I'm hoping to sell to a publisher so that I can add the "published" part to the dream designation of "published author".

I haven't looked at that book in weeks.

Being a writer also includes reviewing and editing, recording pod casts, maintaining websites and social media accounts, acting as my own publicist and manager and accountant, and then becoming my own publisher when all else fails.

Being a writer is a full-time job, even if you never get around to the writing.

Amazingly, it's also a lot of fun! And quite rewarding. And, no matter how much I rant on a Saturday morning, you do eventually get down to writing the thing you really hoped to write in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment