Wednesday, July 16, 2014

So where do we go next?

Decisions. Decisions.

I've long been committed to spending the next year writing my comic novel. It's all planned out in my head and I've even written a pretty decent first (second?) chapter.

But, as time has passed, I've moved further and further away from the initial inspiration and I'm less and less sure I want to dedicate my precious time to it.

And I'm starting to find my thoughts turning back to the central love of my writing life: my mystery/courtroom drama novels.

I've written three such novels, featuring my lawyer protagonist Phillip Gold, and have even come fairly close to getting the third one published. Close, but, of course, still not published.

But I love writing these books and I'm wondering if I might find better luck in the publishing world if I lift the events of the last novel out of their original setting (Hamilton, Ontario) and drop them, revised of course, into a small Maritime City. There are a number of publishing houses in the Atlantic Provinces that specialize in local writers with local subjects and I might just be able to tap into one of them.

If I can capture a more maritime feeling in the novel.

And then, of course, there are the Abigail stories to think about.

Ahh, decisions... life-changing decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment